My most recent pics - Southern France

Monday, March 5, 2007

First Class


Okay- I know a week has gone by without any new entries, but it isn't for lack of trying. Last Sunday I spent a good 45 minutes adding a post about eventful IKEA trip and loading pictures. I hit a button and lost the whole thing and was then too disheartened to do the whole thing over. You will have to trust me that it was Pulitzer quality and the humor was side-splitting. I doubt any other entry before or since will be half as good. Sorry.

I also owe a post about my trip to Cambridge last weekend (I now know why you loved it Meg - I want to quit my job and live in the ivory towers of British academia).

But those will have to wait. I am on the train to Edinburgh. I can't believe how nice the trains are. I bought my ticket in advance and bought the "saver" fare, so I was thinking I would be in airline like coach, well something more like Metra. When I got on, I even asked the person next to me if I was in the right seat. I thought "wow, my seat assignment is in first class accidently (feeling like I'd gotten away with something. ) But then the conductor announced that the first class cars were K, L, and M and I was in A. It is the little things like this that make me like Europe:-)

So I type this on my Blackberry as I head out of. King's cross station. It occurred to me last night that I could write posts on my little friend here and just email them to myself. This will make it much easier to keep "thatreallyhappenedmichelle" updated. (Someone just came around offering coffee- I LOVE these trains - except for one thing... My ears immediately feel massive pressure every time we go through a tunnel )

Now for the funny part and another reason this blog is appropriately names. Just as I'm sitting here finishing up the previous sentence, the ticket taker came around checking tickets. When I showed him mine, he said "very well...20 pounds please." Of course, I looked confused so he said "to upgrade to this business class car will be 20 pounds.". Needless to say, I just gave him the money and ordered some humble pie.

No comments: