My most recent pics - Southern France

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Tourist

Double-decker bus? Check
Buckingham Palace? Check
Changing of the Guard? Check
Big Ben? Check
Salvador Dali
Exhibit? Check (http://www.countyhallgallery.com/exhibitions/dali.htm )
The London Eye? Too expensive (about $30 for the ride)
Nice Argentian guy? Check
Lost on the streets of London? Check

View my pics from my first week in London
http://1021015552.slide.com/p/5/London+-+Week+One?referrer=emcd&view=true

I've learned a new trick to meeting cute boys. Just pull out a tube map, look around a little lost, and say "I can't seem to find Windsor Castle and I really promised the Queen I would be home by 4. She hates it when I insist on acting like a commoner."

Not really, but pulling out the map really does the job. I spent the day playing tourist (see above). I met a nice guy from Buones Aires on the bus and we did a bit of sightseeing together. I still don't know if his name was Arian or Arial, but he was quite entertaining. He pulled out a press pass that got him into the Dali exhibit for free, but I forgot to ask what that was about. Seems like a pretty smart idea to me, anyone know how I go about getting press credentials? I was editor of my junior high newspaper, but I think I've lost my press pass.

The other sights were okay, more obligatory than awe-inspiring. Windsor Castle was huge, Big Ben was a clock, and the guard was a little disappointing. He kept looking around. I thought they were supposed to be cement like and unflappable. The horses were pretty amazing though...they just stood there and let hundreds of people come up and touch them.

At this point, I think it is mandatory to insert the rant of how expensive everything is here. I just bought a 30 day transit pass and it was 89£ (about $173). In relation, a Chicago 30 day pass is $75. I went to the grocery store yesterday and spent $4.50 on a box of granola bars. Basically, everything is about 50-75% more here. Luckily, I won't be buying any clothes - see yesterday's post. BTW, I did figure out the washing machine! Take that DePaul, I am obviously putting my $30,000 worth of education to good use. I am taking on the TV next and very much hope to come out victorius.

2 comments:

Sakura said...

Congrats on successfully arriving (this time) and successfully touristing. So, you're in Bethnel Green. Wasn't that the Kray Twin's old stomping grounds? Have fun with the gangsters (and the Argentinians). PS: Big Ben's the bell.

Erin said...

Michelle, it's great you finally made it! Make sure you make up for those lost six weeks. ;)