My most recent pics - Southern France

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Cheers

I made it. I am sitting in my flat on Bethnal Road. For those of you following the saga, "hopping across the pond" for a few months of work was more like swimming across the Atlantic (and that might have gotten me here faster).

My UK boss, Bruce, graciously picked me up at the airport this morning and drove straight to my flat. I was a bit uneasy at first arrival, mostly overwhelmed with getting my bearings and missing my dogs and my own bed. But the flat is in a good neighborhood that I think I will enjoy. I'm looking forward to exploring more and checking out all 57 nearby pubs. The apartment is a perfect size for me...if I had brought a normal person's amount of clothing. I'm already embarrassed at the amount of clothing I thought I would need, although this may be a blessing in disguise as I am currently having a bit of trouble figuring out how the washer works. I might just come back in May with all dirty clothes.

First impressions of London: cosmopolitian yet neighborhoody (is that a word?), a little stand-offish, and very green and lush. The jury is still out on the food, although I have a huge market about 3 blocks away which will be wonderful.

I'm writing this blog for a few reasons, mostly selfish. Also, as a recollection of the last six weeks' comedy of errors and misfortunes. And lastly, so my mom doesn't worry that I'm okay.

In the next few days, I'll get up the retroactive posts - the full story of deportation and jetsetting homelessness. I also hope to get some pics up soon!

Cheers-
Michelle

No comments: