My most recent pics - Southern France

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Mind the Gap

So my time in London is coming to a close. I should be packing up as I write this.

It has been an adventure. And a learning experience. And some fun. And lots of hard work.

I can't say I came without any expectations, but to be honest, I can't remember what they all were. I did expect to be spend a lot more time in pubs than I actually did, so although my social life was less than stellar, I am on very good terms with my liver...at the moment.

There are some things about London that I will really miss...

  • The marketing team - Helen, Andrew, Bhav, Bruce, and sort of Paul - you made me laugh everyday and you put up with my "well, in the states, we do it like this..." every 20 or so minutes. Don't worry, they think I'm a know-it-all in the states as well. Most importantly, you taught me to swear properly. (Sorry for taking a piss at you Andrew instead of taking the piss out of you)

  • Friends of friends - Budgie, Brad, Greg and Nicola, Laura - I met some really great people who took time out of their lives to keep me company and show me a bit of real London. Thanks!!

  • The grocery stores - I don't know why, but I love British grocery stores, they're perfect for shopping for one.

  • The accents - I'll never get tired of them and I can now tell the difference between an Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Aussie, Cockney, and regular London accent.

  • The lady who did my nails and the one who helped me get to Ikea - the two nicest strangers I met in London

  • The Tube (but it is also on the things I won't miss list) and double-decker buses - I like the signs telling you how long until the next train/bus, which is always just a few minutes because they come so often and seeing the city from the upper deck of the bus

  • Spitalfields market - no particular reason, just loved it

  • Being able to cross off "work in another country" on my life's TO DO list

  • Proximity to the rest of Europe - and being able to visit places I have always said "someday" about

  • Lots more - I'll add them as I think of them, probably once I get home and really get a chance to miss them

What I won't miss...

  • The prices - Almost everything is 100% more expensive in London (except for allergy medicine). I never was able to just let go and stop converting everything to dollars. Don't even get me started on the cost of dry cleaning.

  • The Tube in the morning and/or when it's warm outside - miserable

  • The service - in restaurants it is pretty poor most of the time and in shops it is generally indifferent

  • Mayonnaise/egg/onions in almost everything

  • My tiny little kitchen and planning my life around getting my laundry done

  • My less than full social diary

I would do it all over again, even if I couldn't change a thing. It has been a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am a very,very lucky girl.

-Michelle

P.S. So, what next? I'll be taking a real two week holiday for the first time in my life. I'm very, very excited. I'm doing a tour so that 1) I didn't have to plan squat and 2) I have other people to travel with - keep your fingers crossed for me that they're cool. So Saturday, I fly to Madrid and from there I head to Barcelona, Avignon, Nice/Monte Carlo, Pisa, Florence and then end in Rome before flying back to Chicago.

1 comment:

James said...

Ah, Michelle - even though we work in different states, it'll be great to have you back!

By the way - I refuse to subscribe to the "taking the piss out of" technique of cursing. And by the way - can that even be considered cursing? I'm pretty sure you can say that on television. :)

Have a safe vacation and a safe return to Chicago, Michelle! Talk to you again soon.